PREMIUM BOSUNS CHAIR – THE SAFEST BOSUN’S SEAT
The Premium Bosuns Chair is one item that you can definitely trust your life with when you have to go up the mast. I have been up and down masts many times using all kinds of bosun chairs but for me the premium wrap around type is the one I use and recommend. Just like your ultimate premium safety harness this bosuns’ chair is another item on the boat you must be able to have 110% faith in.
The most important thing is feeling comfortable at the top of the mast when a gust of wind causes it to sway about or the boat starts rolling a little alarmingly in the wake of an inconsiderate dinghy operator who has just raced by.
Most bosun chairs seem to be made for the quick up and down fixes at the top of the mast but I know from experience that you always end up there a lot longer than was originally intended. For most of us it can be quite a scary business and one you have to get used to it all over again every time you need to go up, usually because of the big time lapse since your last visit. Even getting to the first spreaders that may only be 20 foot above the deck can be quite intimidating and I usually need to acclimatise there before venturing further up the mast.
How Is This Bosun’s Seat Constructed
- To help you feel secure the premium bosun chairs have full padded backs designed not only for support but most importantly it increases your level of comfort.
- The 3/4 inch wood core and high-density closed cell foam seat prevents the straps biting into your waist making it impossible to easily move about.
- I love that for added safety the load-bearing webbing is made of one continuous length and also that the tubular load lifting nylon straps are color contrasted for easy identification. This is especially handy at night when you may be feeling a little nervous.
- The detachable tool bag with its multi- pockets really works well and helps prevent you from having to continually go up and down the mast to collect the tools and fittings you require. Most bosun chairs have built in pockets but you can’t get your hands in to access your tools because your weight in the chair pulls the pockets shut. You now find yourself doing all kinds of tricks, some dangerous to get hold of them. Not good.
- Many sailors will not go up the mast themselves but rather employ other people to do the job for them. This is mainly because of a bad experience they have had. Often the reason is that the bosuns chair they used was simply not up to scratch for the job. Usually the stitching which has rotted or the poor design and construction is what fails.
Some Pro Premium Seat Comments
Attractive Design, Quality Construction, Very Secure, Great Value, describes this product. The time spent up the mast is done in comfort thereby helping to reducing any stress you may have felt before starting your climb.
Sailors who have used the chair for the first time agree that it is top of the range boating safety equipment.
Some Cons For The Premium Chair
Not many sailors will fault it other than those experienced riggers who are happy with what they are using or use mast climbing gear.
The premium chair may seem a little bulky but that is a tiny price to pay in exchange for the security it gives you.
If there were comments about poor construction I would neither buy nor recommend it.
When next you visit your yacht, carefully inspect your chair for any faults because your life depends on it. If you have ANY doubts about it, usually it is the stiching that fails first, please throw it away and buy a marine proven product. They are not expensive and if like me you find yourself having to go up the mast while cruising in the middle of the ocean in rough conditions, the job will be a whole lot easier if your bosuns chair is one that can be relied on.
If you like this bosuns chair then CLICK HERE To Buy Your Premium Bosuns Chair from West Marine the largest online store that is a safe and secure website to visit.
Orders over $99.00 are sent freight free and also check out their lowest online price guarantee